Thursday, July 2, 2009

Net Worth Update

As of July 1st, my net worth was $80 228 (up 2.4% from $78 372). If I exclude house-related assets and liabilities, my net worth is $53 014 (up 3.2% from $51 352).

The market continued its rise this month, although things became more volatile with both ups and downs. As I mentioned last month, I am not convinced that this spring's rise is solid and I expect things to weaken over the summer, as the severity of job losses impact the economy. The price of oil rose has began stalling around $70, and the Canadian dollar has move down a little from its recent peak of the beginning of June.

I have money ready to be deployed in my self-directed RRSP account, and I continue to slowly add money to my DRiPs.

Assets ($145 067, up 1.7 % from $142 605)
  • Bank Accounts $3 981 (up 23% from $3 227)
  • Emergency Funds $2 604 (up 0.3% from $2 595)
  • RRSP Accounts $35 742 (up 2% from $35 051)
  • Non-Registered Investments $14 527 (up 7% from $13 550)
  • Home $88 050 (stable)

Liabilities ($64 839, up 0.1% from $64 233)

  • Credit Cards $3 845 (up 26% from $3 051)
  • Mortgage $60 836 (down 0.35% from $61 050)
  • Line of Credit $0 (stable)


  • Debt / assets: 0.445 (down from 0.447)
  • House value / total assets: 0.607 (down from 0.617)

My credit card debt went up this month because of planned expenses: new tires for the car (about $550) and materials for the work I have begun on the back yard (about $500).

The one bad news this month was that at work the project I was working on has temporarily been put on hold by our client. We are confident that it will restart within a few months -- it is a delay, not a cancellation -- but this will cause us some headaches when things restart. In the meantime, I've been assigned to another smaller project. So there is a little bit of uncertainty on this side.

Just to be of the safe side, Princess and I decided to postpone the addiitonal windows replacements. So instead of replacing three more windows over the summer (for about $3 000 -- our windows are large), we will wait until December to order this year's set along with next year's. Both sets would be installed next summer. That will allow us to take advantage of the Canada renovation tax credit announced in January, while deferring most of the expense to next year. We will review this plan in a couple of months to see if it is still viable.

1 comment:

RB said...

Congrats on your networth increase! I'm struggle as to whether i should reveal my own personal finances or just leave ratios.

What do you think?