Monday, January 12, 2009

Financial Goals for 2009

After reviewing my 2008 goals last week, it's now timeto turn ahead and establish some goals for 2009. In this article, I will focus on my financial goals and the related objectives, and the means I will take to attain them.

First, let me define what I mean by "goals and related objectives":
  • A goal is the statement a desired result.
  • An objective is a quantifiable measure to evaluate progress.
  • A mean is a way that is used to reach an objective.

Financial Goal 1: Increase my Net Worth

  • Description: That's fairly straightforward and general -- I want to be richer at the end of the year than I am right now.
  • Objectives: At the end of 2008, my net worth was standing at $70K. I would like to increase it by $15K to $85K by the end of the year.
  • Means: Regular deposits to my RRSP and to my DRiP portfolio, occasional deposits to my TFSA (emergency fund), continued debt reduction (mostly house-related, since I have little personal debts remaining).

Financial Goal 2: Increase my Dividend Income

  • Description: Although I reinvest all the dividends I receive, it is nice to see the amount coming in from those investments increase.
  • Objectives: For 2008, I received ans reinvested about $400 from my DRiP portfolio. Just by leaving those investments alone, this should rise to $700 because all the money added during 2008 will have a full year to generate more dividends. That's nice, but I would rather see my dividend income rise to $850.
  • Means: Regular purchases made within my DRiP portfolio.

Financial Goal 3: Reorganize my Investment Accounts

  • Description: I've been using that same brokerage account (Disnat) for almost 10 years, and my needs have evolved since. I also opened an account with Canadian Shareowner Investments (CSI), that I now use very little. Simplifying my accounts would be good.
  • Objectives: I will investigate, select and open a new brokerage account that will meet my current and future needs. This does not preclude keeping my current brokerage account open. I will also close my CSI account.
  • Means: Analyze my needs, research other discount brokers, open and close accounts.

Cheers!

3 comments:

MG (moneygardener) said...

I wish you the best of luck in 2009!

Frog of Finance said...

Thanks MG!

Anonymous said...

I'm extremely impressed with your writing skills as smartly as with the format in your weblog. Is that this a paid topic or did you customize it yourself? Anyway stay up the nice quality writing, it'ѕ uncommon tο peer a great weblog lіκe this
one these ԁayѕ..

Alѕo ѵisit my pagе - pregnant and using tens units